Grilled Lightlife Plant-Based Italian Sausage and Pesto Pizza
Cooking Time: 45 minutes | Serves: 4
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
1 package Lightlife® All-New Plant-Based Italian Sausage
1 pizza dough ball (Pro tip: Call your local pizzeria and ask if they sell their dough)
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil plus more for grilling
¼ cup pesto sauce (recipe below)
¼ cup asparagus, blanched and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
½ package shredded vegan cheese
¼ red onion sliced thin and soaked in filtered water for at least one hour
1 lemon zest only, optional
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lemon juice and zest
¼ cup salted and roasted pepitas
1 bunch basil leaves
⅛ tsp salt
3–5 cranks freshly ground black pepper
For the pesto sauce:
1. Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend. Add more salt, pepper, and lemon, if desired. If the pesto is too thick, add 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil until sauce reaches desired consistency. (Pesto lasts up to one week in the fridge and up to one month in the freezer.)
For the grilled plant-based sausage:
1. Clean and oil the grill grates with cooking spray or oil and a paper towel. Preheat the grill to 550°F. Pro tip: Keep the lid closed to get it up to temperature.
2. Drizzle the sausage with 1 Tbsp olive oil, and grill each side about 4 minutes, until sausage has grill marks and has been cooked through.
For the pizza:
1. Clean and oil the grill grates with cooking spray or oil and a paper towel. Preheat the grill to 550°F.
2. Stretch the dough into a circular shape on a pizza peel or pan. Brush the dough with 1 Tbsp olive oil.
3. Place dough on grill with the oiled side facing down. Let pizza cook for 3 minutes, then, oil the top side with 1 Tbsp olive oil, and use tongs or a spatula to flip dough back over.
4. Spoon pesto onto the center of dough. Working in an outward spiral, use a spoon to spread sauce to the inner edge of the crust.
5. Top pizza with the asparagus, onion slices, and cheese. Close the lid, and let the pizza cook for 2–3 minutes, until cheese melts.
6. Remove pizza from the grill. Top with sausage and a sprinkle of lemon zest, and serve!
Share this recipe: